01 Mar Going Social
We’ve been asked by a number of clients in the public sector to explain social media and tell them what they should be doing. A few years ago this would have been easy – not so much today.
The key thing people get wrong when they use social media is that they think that social media in itself will solve a lot of their problems. This is not true. You must get your strategy sorted before you even embark on creating social media content. Social media, like any other media, should support your strategy.
There are numerous social media channels available, and the great thing is that your customers will more than likely be on one of those channels. But these channels and their popularity are constantly changing. Who would have thought facebook could be replaced by Snapchat, but teenagers have turned away from Facebook and Snapchat, is presently their channel of choice.
Here are some facts:
- 2.31 billion people in the world are active social media users
- Twitter has approximately 320 million monthly active users.
- Instagram has more than 500 million active monthly users.
- YouTube has over a billion users— almost one-third of all people on the internet.
- Seven in ten 12 to 15 year olds in the UK have a social media profile.
- 12-15’s now spend nearly three and a half hours a week more online than they do watching a TV set
- The mobile phone has overtaken the TV set as the device they would miss the most.
It’s clear that you will need to do some research – look at where your target market is consuming their social media, find out how they react, what they share, what they like.
When it comes to creating your own content, remember how Apple revolutionised advertising and made their adverts all about the consumer. They didn’t even use a photo of the original mac in their first adverts. It’s the same for social media. The content has to be all about your target market.
Whatever message you put out has to be worth sharing or reacting to. Be creative – make your target audience interested, enthused and even inspired.
Remember, social media is all about the person consuming it. If your content is not right it could do you damage. So take time and don’t rush in. Just because social media is a cheaper medium to use doesn’t mean you should be pushing to get your message out there.
As with all marketing the right message, aimed at the right target market, at the right time, will help your social media marketing become much more effective.